ISROC Circular No.44
International Ship Registry of Cambodia
24TH DEC 2012
According to the MARPOL Annex VI Regulation 22, entering into force on 1 January 2013, the SEEMP(Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan) shall be placed on the vessels, engaged in international voyages, which are 400 gross tonnages or above.
The IMO Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) held its 64th session from 1 to 5 October 2012
Several new interpretations on the application of the Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan
(SEEMP) were agreed by the Committee as belows:
NEW REGULATIONS ON ENERGY EFFICIENCY FOR SHIP
(Ref: Res.MEPC.203(62), Effective : 1 January 2013)
1. MARPOL Annex VI was amended to include energy efficiency regulations on ships
2. All ships of 400 G/T or above engaged in international voyages
-. Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP) including the procedure to improve the energy efficiency of a ship’s operation shall be carried on board
-. IEE(International Energy Efficiency) certificate shall be carried on board
3. In addition to paragraph 2 for all new ships of 400G/T or above.
T O : DEPUTY REGISTRAR/RECOGNIZED ORGANIZATION/SHIPOWNER/
F R O M : ISROC HEAD OFFICE
SUBJECT : NEW REGULATIONS ON ENERGY EFFICIENCY FOR SHIPS(SEEMP)
12 ship types** shall develop EEDI(Energy Efficiency Design Index) Technical File including ”Attained EEDI” calculation(these are not applied to diesel-electric propulsion, turbine propulsion, hybrid propulsion system) Attained EEDI for 7 ship types* among the 12 ship types shall not exceed allowable value of the required EEDI
* 7 ship types:
Bulk carrier, Gas carrier, Tanker, Container ship, General cargo ship, Refrigerated cargo carrier and Combination carrier
** 12 ship types:
Bulk carrier, Gas carrier, Tanker, Container ship, General cargo ship, Refrigerated cargo carrier, Combination carrier, Passenger ship, Ro-ro cargo ship(vehicle carrier), Ro-ro cargo ship and Ro-ro passenger ship
4. Development of Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP)
-. The purpose of SEEMP is to establish a mechanism for a company and/or a ship to improve the energy efficiency of a ship’s operation
-. SEEMP should consist of 4stages (Planning – Implementation – Monitoring – Self-evaluation and improvement), for 3rd stage, EEOI(Energy Efficiency Operational indicator) is recommended as the primary monitoring tool,
-> The IMO MEPC.213(63) (revoking MEPC.1/Circ.683) was issued as Guidance for the
development of SEEMP.
5. Ship owners and Builders :
-. New Ship (ie, the building contract is placed on or after 1 January 2013)
: Getting Approval of EEDI Technical File + Carrying SEEMP on board -> Carrying IEE certificate on board)
-. Existing ship (a ship which is not a new ship)
->. The Resolution MEPC 64/4/31, IACS :
1) For existing ships, a Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP) required in accordance with regulation 22 of MEPC.203(62) shall be verified on board, and an The International Energy Efficiency Certificate (IEEC) shall be issued, not later than the first IAPP intermediate or renewal survey according to regulation 5.4.4 of MARPOL Annex VI whichever is the sooner, on or after 1 January 2013.
2) The International Energy Efficiency Certificate (IEEC) shall be issued for both new and existing ships to which chapter 4 of MARPOL Annex VI applies.
3) The lack of a SEEMP on board during the first intermediate/renewal survey of the IAPP
Certificate does not impact the validity of the IAPP Certificate.
4) Fixed and floating platforms (including floating production and/or storage units) and drilling rigs, regardless if self propelled or non-self propelled, are excluded from carrying a SEEMP onboard.
5) SEEMP should be established in a working language or languages understood by ship's personnel.
Please find attached file for your reference.
(Attached file ; MEPC.213(63).pdf – 1 set)
This circular shall be in full effect immediately on the official release as of this day.
Circular No.44 replaces circular No. 42
Mr. Chun Hee, Lee
Director General of Technical Department
Head Office of
International Ship Registry of Cambodia as
Flag State Administration of the Royal Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia
Address:Bando Bldg, #36, 4-ga, Jungang-dong, Jung-gu, Busan, Republic of Korea (Zip:600-815)